Everything You Need to Know
Previously known as the OCAT, the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test (RCAT) is a psychometric test from the Revelian Company. It requires candidates to process numeric, abstract, or verbal information in an effort to assist hiring personnel with identifying innovative recruitment candidates. It’s a 20-minute test with 51 questions given to job seekers to judge certain skills most interviewers are unable to assess during verbal interviews.
KPMG Australia & the Revelian Test
“While Revelian is tight-lipped about the specific employers with which it works, news reports confirm that current adopters include Ashurst, KPMG, and PwC, as well as other graduate recruiters in the aviation, finance, mining, telecommunications, construction, logistics, and professional services industries. By some accounts, Revelian administers 200,000 tests a year around the globe.” (Source: gradaustralia.com.au)
To pass the Revelian Test, the candidate must possess a high mental ability and should maintain good problem-solving skills. Employers often think that if a person has done well in the interview and possess excellent related experience and the right qualifications, they are perfect for the job. However, such things only showcase a person’s on-paper skills, not how proficient they are in solving problems, or how superior their interpersonal skills are.
It’s a 20-minute test with 51 questions. It measures not only your job-related abilities but also interpersonal skills, general intelligence, and problem-solving skills.
Therefore, the RCAT assists employers in finding the one candidate who not only has high cognitive skills, but also can think “outside the box.” With a broad range of questions and increasing levels of difficulty, the RCAT offers a comprehensive assessment to gauge the cognitive abilities of the candidate. It’s one of the best and most used online tests for the organizational hiring of skilled people.
The Revelian Test can only be taken once every 12 months. This means you should be highly motivated to prepare for the RCAT. Practically, there are no second chances!
With the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test, the recruiter can predict a candidate’s future performance at work, their ability to solve difficult problems, and their general intelligence.
Easy to administer
Since it’s a cloud-based test, candidates can easily take the Revelian Test from anywhere. Questions are asked from three categories:
- Abstract reasoning
- Verbal reasoning
- Numerical reasoning.
The questions are selected randomly via Revelian’s LOTF (Linear-on-the-Fly) software. You will be given 17 questions from each category, for a total of 51 random questions. The level of difficulty increases as the test progresses.
Used to hire job-friendly people
Since RCAT measures the candidates’ cognitive abilities, organizations using it are sure to hire the best people for their workforce. It measures interpersonal skills, general intelligence, and problem-solving skills.
How many times can I take the Revelian Test?
You can take the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test (RCAT) only once within a 12 month period. Hence, the Revelian Company asks for the candidate’s identification details at different assessment processes – of even different companies – so that there won’t be any repetitive assessments. You will not be permitted to take the test again; instead, candidates will be given the opportunity to showcase their previous results to the recruiter.
Like other psychometric tests, the Revelian Cognitive test is a time-limited test in which you have only 20 minutes to complete it.
Assessment of questions
The RACT features 51 multiple-choice questions with each question randomly sequenced with a difficulty level that rises after each question.
The complete Revelian Test includes questions from three categories:
- Verbal reasoning: These questions will judge a candidate’s ability to interpret and judge written text. They will include word Analogies, inferences, and word categorization. To pass this, you must have good English skills.
- Abstract reasoning: You will encounter Odd-Two-Out questions – find two elements that do not share the same property as 3-4 other elements.
- Numerical reasoning: The numerical questions will feature number series, numerical matrix completion, and math word problems; therefore you should have basic math skills and practice diligently prior to the test.
- The questions are placed in a random order.
- Difficulty level will rise after each question.
The RCAT is not only for native English speakers but also for non-native speakers which means anyone can take this test to achieve their desired position.
Who can take The Revelian Test?
Any hiring organization can offer the RCAT to their candidates in order to judge their abilities and interpersonal skills.
The RCAT fits all jobs and job profiles, even those requiring different expertise and experience levels.
The Revelian Test results
The RACT scores will be made available to the recruiter in percentile form comparing you to your peer group.
Result Scale and Interpretation
Once you complete the RCAT, you will be provided with a percentage score comparing you to the peer groups who have already taken the Revelian Test. When more than one candidate competes for the position, the results of each is compared with others. The candidates are judged by their overall performance (i.e. score) in the assessment.
Your employer’s score report will include your final score, similar to this: “Exceeded 95% of a sample of ABC Company employees”. You will also be ranked vis-a-vis the other candidates: “Candidate Rank: 1 out of 4 candidates”.
The report will include the following disclaimer: “This report is based on the results of the RCAT. This assessment provides insight into Katherine’s cognitive ability. Other qualities relevant to Katherine’s suitability for the role may be best understood using additional selection methods, such as additional psychological assessment, interviews, and reference checks. In making a final selection decision, Revelian recommends that all available information about the candidate be considered. ”
In addition, you will be ranked versus your peers using a table like this one:
The Revelian Cognitive Ability Test (RCAT) is administered and developed in three stages:
- Question development: Revelian experts formulate various questions including verbal, abstract, and numerical reasoning questions.
- Question testing: Once the experts are done with question development and evaluation, their final subset consists of 716 questions. For each candidate, 51 questions are then selected: 17 numerical, 17 abstract and 17 verbal questions.
- Assessment: The final batch of questions is then computerized and administered to various industries to measure cognitive abilities.
Is the Revelian Test available offline?
No, the test is only available online. One can participate in this 20-minute online test only once in 12 months.
When will I get results?
Since it’s an online test, the results are instant. After completing the RCAT, you will be provided with the score in a percentage format.
Revelian was established in 1999 and is an Australian-based organization specializing in the development and delivery of cutting-edge psychometric tests and evaluations, providing companies using their services unique, data-driven employee insights. Over 80% of the tests in their portfolio are proprietary, developed by their team of psychologists and software engineers, and used by organizations throughout the world. Each year, more than 200,000 individuals globally take the Revelian tests.
Additional recruitment tests by Revelian
- RWRS: The test provides information about the candidate’s reliability. It assesses the candidate’s attitude towards the workplace. Sometimes the candidate’s scores are flagged as invalid if its attitude toward RWRS is not reliable.
- RWSA-SF: This test is used to predict how a candidate will behave on the job. Candidates with high scores will manage the job well, avoid risk and will be responsible for their safety.
- MSCEIT: This test measures an employee’s emotional intelligence by offering them problems that feature the use of emotions. It’s a good predictor for jobs that require working in teams.
- RTPH: It’s a game-based test to evaluate various abilities and traits that are important for performing well in a job.
Once these tests are completed, the scores for each test are compared to the scores obtained by other candidates taking the test. The final results are given in percentile format for each candidate; and based on these ratings, recruiters measure employees:
- Cognitive abilities
- Emotional intelligence
- On-job behavior
Disclaimer – All the information and prep materials on iPrep are genuine and were created for tutoring purposes. iPrep is not affiliated with Revelian, which is the owner of the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test.
About this Course
Welcome to iPrep’s Revelian Cognitive Ability Test (RCAT) Course.
This course will help you boost your skills and with it your confidence towards your upcoming RCAT test. The course will provide you with the following tools and benefits:
- You will become familiar with the test’s various types of questions.
- You will be given three full-length RCAT-style simulation tests. These simulations include similar questions to those you will encounter in the real test with the same level of difficulty. These also have the same time limit as the real test. Experiencing the test’s time pressure will ensure it will not come as a surprise on test day.
- You will be provided with a great variety of helpful tips for the different types of questions. Some of the tips are in the introductory sections while most are in the detailed explanations that follow each question.
5.0 Learning Hours3+9 Practice Tests285 Questions30 Day Access
By the end of this course, you will be more knowledgeable and comfortable with the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test – Knowledge and familiarity with the test are the two most significant factors that can help you maximize your score and improve your chances of success.
The course is comprised of both practice and learning sessions. But first, you will go through an introductory sample test to get a feel for the challenge ahead. In it, you will solve questions with a time limit. Once done, you will have the option to review your answers and question explanations.
Following the introductory test experience, we will guide you through learning lessons with essential information about your upcoming RCAT assessment. These lessons will help you understand the underlying technics that are essential for succeeding in the test.
The course is then concluded by simulating full-length tests that accurately follow the structure and concepts of the RCAT. Once done, you will be able to get full question explanations and even see how well you performed in comparison with other people who have taken the test.
Wishing you an enjoyable learning experience!
Skills You Will Learn
Numerical ReasoningVerbal ReasoningAbstract Reasoning
- Course Introduction
- Warming Up – 15-Question Speed Test
- Question Types Introduction
- Time Management Tips
- Full-Length RCAT-Style Simulations
- Course Conclusion
Get to know what the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test will be like by practicing with these sample questions:
0 of 7 questions completed
You have already completed the test before. Hence you can not start it again.
Test is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the test.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 7 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
Tips for Passing the Revelian Cognitive Ability Test
To ace any timed test that can get you your dream job, you should have a solid practice plan and a test-taking strategy. Although it would be a little challenging to beat the time, these handy tips can help:
- Bring a stopwatch and scrap paper to do draft calculations
- There will be tricky questions, work carefully
- Don’t rush to complete the test, focus on accuracy
- Guess if you don’t know the answer, never leave a question unanswered
- Stay ahead of the time: Practicing before taking the test will help you ensure you can complete the test within the 20 minute time period. Altogether, there are approximately 23 seconds per question. Don’t panic, rather focus and try to complete the test. Remember, you’ll get only one chance in 12 months, so be precise, set a timeframe and practice as many questions as you can before taking the test.
- Guess & move on: Since wrong answers will not negatively impact your overall score, and given the time limitation, guess when you don’t know the answer. Don’t spend too much time on any one question, guess the answer and move to the next one.
- Stay Focused: Aim for answering all 51 questions, but if you are unable to do so (which is very likely), don’t panic. The test is designed in a way that only approximately 2% of the candidates can answer all questions within the time limit.
Well done! You have completed the Sample Questions section.
The complete iPrep course includes full test simulations with detailed explanations and study guides.
Question 1 of 7
Which two statements together PROVE that John was born in San-Francisco?CorrectIncorrect
Question 2 of 7
The chances of winning prizes in the local fare are 9/10. 200 children visited the local fare how many of them most probably did not win a prize?
Type your answer here: children
Question 3 of 7
Four of the following are alike in some way. Please select the other two.CorrectIncorrect
Question 4 of 7
What is the missing number that should take the place of the question mark?
7 10 15 ? 31 42 55
Type your answer here:
Question 5 of 7
GLASS is to WINDOW as KITCHEN is to…CorrectIncorrect
Question 6 of 7
Which two of the six elements do not belong with the others?CorrectIncorrect
Question 7 of 7
Which two of the five elements do not belong with the others?CorrectIncorrect